Friday, October 19, 2012

Product Junkie… I Know You Are But What Am I?

Product Junkie |ˈprädəkt ˈjəNGkē| n. a person with an obsessive compulsive habit of trying and collecting new hair products.

As the daughter of a bona fide Product Junkie I cannot help but worry if my aimless perusing of the beauty isle, adding more and more items to my “must try” list, and ever growing shopping cart containing natural hair products at Amazon are signs that I am headed for trouble.
This year, I made a conscious effort to boost the health of my natural hair. In my quest for a longer, thicker, and healthier mane, I boosted my research efforts and created my blog to share my experiences. The blog also serves as my accountability partner (thank you Iyanla for that phrasing) in this journey. What I didn’t anticipate was that I would spend my days and nights thinking of what I could buy, try, or apply to enhance my results.
FACT: Achieving a healthy head of hair takes work. While this comes as no surprise, this fact is oftentimes ignored on a day-to-day basis. The harsh reality of this fact is sometimes only realized when what hair we have grown is left on the cutting room floor after a visit to our stylist for what we thought would be a simple “trim.” Arming yourself with an arsenal of products and processes that will leave more hair on your head and less hair on the floor is a key component in this mission.
My hair care regimen that once consisted of A shampoo, A conditioner, and A styling product has grown to include an arsenal of conditioners, various oils, multiple essential oils, a hand mixer, a stash of BAQ (what the hay is that?!) henna, and a number of items that do double duty between my kitchen and my bathroom (no I do not take these items from the kitchen into the bathroom and back again… Ewe!)
While my shopping list has grown, I am pleased to report that my hair has too (probably not as much as my shopping list… But we’re building a foundation here). Here’s a list of what I’m currently buying and where I am buying it from:
On The Web…
Unrefined Shea Butter
Body Art Quality (BAQ) Henna – available online at www.mehandi.com   
At Trader Joe's...
Aloe Vera Juice
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Vitamin E Oil
Jojoba Oil
Whole Foods (aka “Whole Paycheck” hence why these items read “or online”)…
Argan Oil – available at Whole Foods or online
Peppermint Essential Oil – available at Whole Foods or online
Rosemary Essential Oil – available at Whole Foods or online
Lavender Essential Oil – available at Whole Foods or online
Target…
Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Elixir – available at Target and many drug stores
TRESemme Naturals  Nourishing Moisture Conditioner – available at Target and most drug stores
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration – available at Target and most drug stores
Glad Cling Wrap – available at Target and most grocery stores
Sally’s (or any other local beauty supply)…
-          Processing Caps
-          Reusable Latex Gloves
Unless you have an unlimited product budget (or a Sugar Daddy hanging in the wings) I would recommend that you build your product arsenal over time. Starting with the items you will use most then moving on to products that can serve multiple purposes, and lastly on to those “just for kicks” novelty items will ensure that you are keeping your inner product junkie in check.
When was your last Product Junkie moment and was the product “the bomb” or "a bust"?
Follow me on Twitter – @SuzieCurl 
Like me on Facebook – www.Facebook.com/SuzieCurl 
Subscribe to my Blog - www.SuzieCurlMichael.com

No comments:

Post a Comment